- This event has passed.
Event Series: National Hanging Out Day
National Hanging Out Day
Each year on April 19th, Project Laundry List works with hundreds of other organizations to sponsor National Hanging Out Day. This day encourages communities to learn about the benefits, both financially and environmentally, of using a clothesline for drying laundry. According to Project Laundry Lists’ website, clothes dryers account for an astonishing six to ten percent of residential energy consumption. Hanging your clothes out to dry also includes all these other benefits:
- You will reduce your carbon footprint.
- You will save money.
- The fresh air and sunshine recharge our bodies in therapeutic ways.
- Clothes dried on a clothesline have a natural freshness.
- It encourages us to slow down.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL HANING OUT DAY
- Hang your freshly washed clothes out to dry.
- Install a clothesline.
- Try sleeping in sun and air-dried sheets—it’s amazingly refreshing!
- Share pictures of your clothes drying on the line.
- Post tips, tools, and tricks to hanging clothes.
- Join the conversation by using #NationalHangingOutDay on social media.
- While you’re waiting for the clothes to dry, download and print the Hanging Out Day color page.