Spanning the Need (STN) is a fast-growing currently covering the Mahoning Valley and Northeast Ohio. We will be continuing to service the area through the holidays and beyond. We are all about covering good news stores and what motivates us in the community, Inspiring, the Uninspired.
STN is spreading the good news in our communities. We are a good news website of thoughtfully curated experiences, news, advice, inspirational stories and culture.
We’re now seeking a multiple general assignment and/or Freelance reporters to help us deliver high-impact stories about the people and institutions who shape the character of our community. We’re not looking for someone who can do it all — the area is much too big for that. Instead, our need at beginners and experienced reporter who can help and assist to identify subjects our readers will care about, find answers and deliver solutions-oriented articles that have the potential to make the Mahoning Valley and Northeast a better place to live.
In particular, we love coverage that gives citizens the information they need to make better decisions in the life or channel their time and donations to people doing good work and Inspire, the Uninspired.
This is an opportunity to be part of something that SPECIAL, literally changes lives and enriches our community. We offer a flexible working environment.
- Home based to start. Eastern Ohio (Trumbull, Mahoning, and Columbiana Counties Coverage area.
- However, you do not need to live in those communities to cover those. We will extend to Northeast Ohio.
- Must live in Northeast Ohio (Canton, Akron, Cleveland, Youngstown) or Western Pennsylvania. (STN may make other considerations on location).
Compensation and perks
- Work when you want as long as you’re meeting objectives
- Office supplies and tech stipend (if applicable-need based)
Note: This is a independent contracted position that does not offer healthcare coverage or retirement benefits. You will be provided a 1099, and Spanning the Need will not take out taxes, if applicable.
Deliverables on what to expect (if applicable)
- File investigative story (about 1,500 words) and well-sourced news features and/or articles (~400-600 & 600-1,000 words) that clarify some issue of public interest and great community initiatives.
- Take photos for each of your stories (see below for more on this)
- Become extremely interested in what’s happening around the area, including following what happens at community meetings and/or reading around the area and social media for features on individuals.
- Develop good rapport with many sources, especially in all areas that typically have a good community reputation.
- Create an ongoing list of story ideas, triage them for timeliness and impact, and help prepare some of them as assignments to freelancers
Competencies and experience
- Demonstrated record or strong potential to deliver the above objectives (your cover note should demonstrate this)
- Beginning and/or Experienced reporting in a newsroom or a freelancer
- Strong ability to find information, whether by filing the necessary documentation to get what is needed or calling everyone
- Organized, meticulous and anxious to avoid fact errors
- Flexible and able to find solutions when things don’t go just as expected
- Interested in everything, eager to learn and willing to go the extra mile to dig up information that will tie your story together
- Proficient in modern apps.
- Photography experience is preferred but not required.
- First, submit your resume, references, and a cover letter and apply above. Don’t overthink the cover letter. Just let us know who you are and why you’d be great at this job. This is a great time to ask any questions you have about the role. Feel free to email us with questions.
- Within two-three weeks, we’ll let you know if you’ve been shortlisted for the position. (On going accepting of applications)
- Once we have a strong shortlist of candidates, we’ll send invitations for a conversation with via a video Google call.
- As a final step, you will have the opportunity to meet with Spanning the Need.