National Pizza Day on February 9th celebrates one of America’s all-time favorite foods. Whether it is thin crust, Chicago-style, deep dish, or anything in between, pizza is an American favorite.
We love our pizzas, and they come in so many varieties, too. As we nosh on our favorite, explore a few pizza facts:
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza at 36% of all pies ordered.
- Over 3 billion pizzas are sold in the USA each year. Add another 1 billion on frozen pizzas
- In the United States, 17% of all restaurants are pizzerias.
- Antica Pizzeria, the first Pizzeria, opened in Naples, Italy, in 1738.
- Gennaro Lombardi, the first Pizzeria in the United States, opened in 1895 in New York City.
- Americans consume on average 23 pounds of pizza per person each year.
SPECIAL Part 3 of 3: Coaching Legend Ron Moschella, Former Players, Area Coaches And Those Who Knew Him Best, Sign Off
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL PIZZA DAY
- Eat your favorite pizza.
- Visit a local pizzeria and give them a shout-out for their fantastic pies!
- Make your own pizza at home.
- Post on social media your favorite recipes.
- Experiment with toppings, crusts and sauces.
- And don’t forget to check out the Celebration Deals for all the best offers and discounts.
- Send us a message with any other great deals you come across that celebrate National Pizza Day.
- Watch movies like Mystic Pizza or Little Italy.
- Throw a pizza party and give this recipe a try:
- Use #NationalPizzaDay to post on social media.