Observed each year on June 1st, National Pen Pal Day is a way to let your pen pals know how much they mean to you. The day is the perfect time to send special letters and gifts to your pen pals.
A pen pal is someone with whom you correspond by writing letters, sharing personal events and many times have never even met. There are many benefits to having pen pals, too.
- Pen pals offer us a broader view of the world.
- We improve our writing skills.
- Writing letters also give us a break from technology.
- If your pen pal speaks another language, your correspondence expands each other’s language.
- Having a pen pal promotes delayed gratification. Once we write a letter, we have to wait to hear back from our pen pal.
Generations of letter writers have enjoyed having pen pals in their life. Some have been famous and others have created life-long friendships that began in childhood.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL PEN PAL DAY
While discovering a new pen pal these days might seem daunting but we found two websites that might help you along. Check out Postcrossing and Worldwide Snail Mail Pen Pals on Facebook if you’re looking for a pen pal. Share your memories of having a pen pal or your experiences with one now. Someone you meet in your travels can always become a pen pal, too. Use #NationalPenPalDay to post on social media.