While February 18th is observed annually as National Drink Wine Day, it would be a shame to celebrate only one day a year. Perhaps this day is just a reminder to drink wine.
Wine does have its benefits after all. Moderate drinkers of wine have lower risks of liver disease, type II diabetes, certain kinds of cancers, heart attack, and stroke. It also can reduce the bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the good (HDL).
Drinking wine includes other benefits as well. When paired with the right meal, it enhances the flavors of spices, fruits, and sauces. A glass of wine helps relax us. Learning about wine keeps our minds sharp, too. Since the fruits, regions, and the making of wine have such a complex story, those who delve into find themselves traveling to learn more.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL DRINK WINE DAY
- Since February 18th is also National Crab-Stuffed Flounder Day, so we suggest a fresh, fruity white wine pairing the celebrations together.
- Attend or host a wine tasting.
- Try a new wine.
- Give a bottle of wine to a friend.
- Visit a vineyard.
- Raise a toast to your favorite wine and let us know which one it is.
- Always drink responsibly and try a new wine. Use #NationalDrinkWineDay to post to social media.
NATIONAL DRINK WINE DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues researching the origins of this celebratory day. However, we’ve sipped a few wines and suspect either a winemaker or connoisseur created this day.