- This event has passed.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
Each year, National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day on April 12th recognizes one of the top comfort foods in the United States. Why wouldn’t it be when we’re talking about bread grilled to perfection, and warm, gooey, melted cheese.
According to food historians, many cultures around the world have enjoyed cooked bread and cheese since ancient times. The United States modern version of the grilled cheese sandwich originated in the 1920s. As sliced bread and American cheese became easily available, Americans began making open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches.
United States government cookbooks describe Navy cooks broiling “American cheese filling sandwiches” during World War II.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are versatile thanks to the ability to mix and match cheeses, bread, and seasonings. Adding sauteed vegetables or herb-infused oils can elevate this simple comfort food to a whole other level.
HOW TO OBSERVE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH DAY
- Make your favorite version of a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Share the best cheeses to make grilled cheese. Do you use American cheese or do you prefer Swiss? What’s your favorite cheese?
- Serve it with your favorite soup and sides, too.
- Layer it and make a double-decker grilled cheese sandwich. Add ham or bacon for extra flavor and variety.
- Share with us all the ways you make grilled cheese sandwiches or try this recipe below:
Families, take this day to the next level and make personalized sandwiches. Get creative with your grilled cheese by bringing out the cookie cutters. Imagine the fun the kids will have and everyone can make unique-shaped sandwiches. Don’t fret about the crusts because you can dip them in your favorite sauces or soups. Try adding ranch, siracha or a dill dip. How will you mix it up?
- Use #GrilledCheeseSandwichDay to post on social media.